Withering Petals

 In the words of the African poet, Kwesi Brew

"We have come to the crossroads

And I must either leave or come with you.

I lingered over the choice

But in the darkness of my doubts

...

And I saw in your face

The road that I should take."

Such an uncompromising picture he drew


We truly have come to the cross-road

and so much has happened already

Your eyes are partially defiled with anger

I can't help but wonder

how much pain you can take before you break

before you explode with gloomy giggles and secret sighs

the ones you hid so I wouldn't feel your hostility


Does love really grow this cold?

I knew this reality nonetheless

but the shades of grey couples played intrigued me

probably the pain kept me awake from total oblivion

into the utopian promise of love and romance

even Aphrodite knew better 

not to mix love, sex, and beauty


I had so much hope for us

to break free from the temperature fall of love

from hot to cold and then the end

does it always have to be like this?

or we haven't figured out love beyond that?

can we not love each other beyond chance, moments, and emotions


Your arms were once my safe haven

that I run away to  from the arrows 

the world threw at  me

and now it has become my tomb

your presence was like heaven 

that always gave me assurance

and now it has become my hell

I want to run so much from

your smile brightened so much of my day

and now a thick dark cloud that drenches me in sadness

a heartache in my chest my hand cannot reach

to calm down and relieve it of its pain

how so easily did love become this cold!


my voice annoys you so much now

no longer the bird you want to hear sing

at the early morning wake

My wisdom that once guided you safely

is now foolishness and comedy to your ears

and now you run to my enemy to shed your tears

all that we struggled to build is withering

do you not see?

or are you neglecting it because you want a way out?

If things don't work out, I will still cherish what we had

And hope you find the love I wasn't able to give you.






Withering Petals Withering Petals Reviewed by Kobby Sage on March 11, 2023 Rating: 5

No comments:

Kobby Sage